Thomas George logo

Landlord FAQs

Landlord FAQs

Search for properties

Property type

Minimum price

Maximum price

Minimum bedrooms

If you are planning to let a property in Cardiff that you are currently leasing or renting yourself, it is essential that the intended sub-letting is permitted by your lease and that your lease covers the letting period. If your property is mortgaged, permission to let may also be required by your mortgage company. Thomas George letting agents will assume that you have made these relevant checks and cannot be held responsible for any claims made against you by a tenant due to these circumstances.

Thomas George will ensure that electricity, gas and water accounts are transferred into the tenant's name from the commencement of the lease. Final accounts can be forwarded on to you or we can pay them on your behalf. Please advise us in writing if you would like the electricity to remain connected during vacant periods.

You should request a closing telephone bill from BT or your usual supplier before leaving your property. Tenants should make their own applications for a phone and/or broadband connection.

Rent is received monthly in advance and transferred to your account or sent by cheque, less our fees and any payments you request us to make for you.

You must ensure that your household insurance policy covers your property for lettings.

You should supply a set of keys per tenant and one set to Thomas George. All keys in our possession are coded, constantly checked and kept under secure supervision. Any additional household keys should be marked and left in the kitchen. Please ensure that all keys work smoothly.

All electrical and gas appliances should be clean, serviced and in good working order. They must also comply with any applicable safety regulations. Service contracts, particularly for central heating, are recommended. If a property is vacant, fridges and freezers should be defrosted and left switched off with their doors open.

Audio Visual Equipment?
If televisions, videos, hi-fi equipment etc. are left in the property, it is the responsibility of the landlord to maintain them. When the television licence expires, it is the responsibility of the tenant to renew it. Whether or not a TV is left, an aerial is essential.

Council Tax?
This is the tenant's responsibility during the occupation and the landlord's responsibility when vacant.

The property should be in good decorative order throughout with appropriate furniture and accessories. Our Contract Furnishing Division can help with this - please see the letting services page for more information. Click here for a recommended list of furnishings for your rental property.

Income Tax?
If you reside abroad, the Inland Revenue holds us responsible for the payments of any tax liability from the rental of your property. In this case, income tax will be deducted at basic rate from any rental payments we make to you. To avoid this, you can apply for a tax exemption certificate. These are available from Thomas George or the Inland Revenue. If the property is jointly owned, a certificate is required for each individual.

Fire Regulations?
All furniture supplied must conform to the 'Fire and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) (Amendment) Regulations 1993'. We require completion of our information sheet on fire regulations, indemnifying us from any action or consequence of a breach in these regulations before a contract can commence.

Gas Safety?
The law states that gas equipment must be checked annually by a Registered Gas Safe Engineer and records of this must be available on request. Thomas George can arrange this servicing on your behalf if requested.

See our Standard Fees and Charges here
Thomas George is a member of the Property Ombudsman & ARLA and holds client money protection insurance (See certificate here). We also comply with Propertymark Conduct and Membership rules, including those relating to handling client money which can be found here.